News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Samurai's Eviscerate

Started by Slightquills, August 18, 2009, 05:21:22 AM MT

Slightquills

Yeah there are summons that start with one hit point and this ability is expensive because the samurai gets an additional attack, but I found that the warrior's abilities tend to outshine the samurai's by far.

My suggestion to make the samurai more interesting would be to just allow the ability to give the Samurai an extra attack at the cost of three spells.

As an option This double attack could instead stay cheap (1-2) but both attacks are made at a reduced strength (cost 2, can make an additional attack, both attacks made at -1 strength). Both options still take advantage of the Samurai's damage bonus, but have costs or penalties to offset that.

Now that I think about it, I like the second option.

diesbudt

The main problem with that, is because of his insane damage bonus (which I think should drop to 1 damage personally) He  can't have an extra attack. As it is all unbuffed chars have 6- hp, and since he gets +2 damage, both rolls would only need 1 hit to kill the opponent, which is insanely too powerful. The point of the characters, is not so everyone can 1-shot everything, but to strategize attack and counter-attack.

What I could see though is reduce it down to 1 card cost, and instead of an automatic kill, turn it into the rogues ability and attack the 1hp target at a cost of 1 card.

Slightquills

That sounds reasonable . . . just disappointingly non-samurai like.

Joshua

Yea, Samurai is sooo scary when his/her hero mage went down.

If he hits, he can cause 4 damage total (incl eviscerate). My hero mage unfortunately went down unlucky (with 4 hp remaining) even though he had 19 defense (bluff). He managed to roll a 19, aghh :P

Ross Przybylski

True to his nature, the Samurai is meant to instill terror in his enemies.  That is why his abilities are so extreme.  I certainly don't believe the Warrior outshines him- rather, they each host different advantages.

The Warrior has a slightly higher Defense, the ability to defend others, and his second attack can receive buffs, making him very effective when magically enchanted at taking down a couple summons or weakened heroes (sort of like the Barbarian).  The Samurai, however, excels at assassinating weaker Defense heroes- like mages.  His eviscerate is costly- but when weighed against the benefits of finishing off a hero, it is certainly worth it.  I wouldn't waste two cards to cap a skeleton (unless my mage was already defeated) but he can also use his ability to take out the pesky Iron Golem thats in your way- always a plus given the difficulty of rolling 18+.

Opinions are always welcome!  Let me know if your thoughts change as you experience more battles with him.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Joshua

What about: 1+ damage bonus (passive) instead of +2?

- 3 damage is max anyway
- 1 roll hit + 1 = 2;
- 2 roll hits + 1 = 3;
- 3 roll hits + 1 = 3;

Ross Przybylski

But then he'd just be an Earth Elemental with 5 Life instead of 2 (+1 Damage is the same as Crushing Blow).  Samurai's are supposed to be scary.  He does need to get next to your mage for the chop, tho- so it's not like you can't see him coming for ya.  If anything, the balance change would be Short Attack (adjacent strikes only) but I don't care for that too much either.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Dirpius

Just to let everyone know:  I will not play another game of heromages unless the samurai gets nerfed.  He is way too powerful.  Someone find me if the update is made, I'll come back.

diesbudt

Dont reply to a post and than make a new one with the same topic.